Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Shameless


Regardless of the amazing experience I'm gaining at my internship, the opportunity to live in a new place and the awesome fate that landed me in the chillest living arrangement ever my trip will be eternalized by one thing only......Seeing Garth Brooks.
No, he did not fly over or run through the crowd, and he definitely Went Down Before the Sun Came Up....but nonetheless, totally worth it!
So Friday was the opening night of the Hollywood Bowl in (you guessed it) Hollywood and our paper had a little feature on it, so immediately upon opening my browser and seeing Garth's name, I was on ticketmaster securing my place in Section K2 Seat 103. As I read the full story I came to find out that GB himself was only a presenter at this opening night that was actually a induction for Josh Groban and....uh...some other singer with a difficult name, to the Hollywood Bowl Hall of Fame. As you can imagine this news was a bit disappointing until I remembered that I had NOTHING better to do that night, and there was going to be fireworks!!
So after work I guzzled what remained of a bottle of wine, smoked a bowl and rocked a little Callin' Baton Rouge in the Sherman Oaks Park-n-Ride. I was so thankful I didn't drive because the bowl was a TOTAL clusterfuck and I just pictured myself deliberately ramming my car into another or just abandoned it in the traffic for the nearest bar. So while waiting in the ridiculously long line to get frisked I noticed EVERYONE around me with coolers or carrying like 4 bottles of champagne and realized how underprepared I was. Coming from the Gorge, where Mason and Mario had to literally shove bottles of booze down their pants to get it in, I wasn't expecting to be able to roll in with a mini bar, so I gave in and payed the outlandish $10 a pop for beers at a refreshment convenient store (yeah an entire fucking store of booze in the venue, fabulous and terrible all at the same time!) So I made it to my seat and acting the only way I know how to at an outdoor concert I drank as much as I could as quickly possible-much to the dismay of the overweight binoculars man to my left and the "trying to keep the flame alive by doing fun things together" middle aged couple to my right. (If only they knew in 20 minutes I'd be standing and screaming along with Roger Daltry to"Pinball Wizard".....poor bastards never saw it coming!)
Well the induction was interesting and despite being the person with the most alcohol in my system and the least amount of money in my bank account, I was completely content.
So after spending about an hour in my truck at the Park-n-Ride waiting to sober up I headed home. Upon my exhausted and hazy arrival home the proverbial cherry was placed on the top of my sweet Friday night as I found myself staring at Thor....a three feet tall marble torso with no arms sitting on our kitchen table......it doesn't get much better than that.

1 comment:

  1. Cate-o! I wish I coulda been there with you - I need another concert experience with my GIFers - soon!!

    Glad to hear all is well with you! and thank you for entertaining me this long long morning ;)

    ReplyDelete